The Centre of Research Excellence for the Development of Innovative Therapies for Psychiatric Disorders (CREDIT)
CREDIT has a single goal: Discovering and creating novel treatments to empower those with some of the most disabling mental disorders.
What We Do
CREDIT supports change in two ways:
- Pursuing multiple lines of evidence to rapidly hone in on beneficial medications and lifestyle treatments
- Helping to grow the practical requirements – including resources, clinical trial networks, and guidelines – that can see new discoveries reach actual use.
This work requires diverse minds, generous collaboration, and a mindset of innovation. And it includes conversations with a strong cross-section of government, research, healthcare professionals, and the community.
Benefits to come for clinicians and researchers
- National trials registry
- Key discoveries, in plain English
- National library of rating scales
- Advertising chances for community to access clinical trials
Despite the dedication of mental health professionals, some of our foremost medications for conditions like bipolar disorder have not changed in decades – not because they are perfect, but because we have not found better alternatives.
Currently, this dearth of treatment options leaves, for instance, full remission rates for psychosis at just 25%, and for depression, just 3 out of 10. In other words: if diagnosed with depression, you may have only a 30% chance of quickly finding a suitably effective treatment regime.
We find this unacceptable.
That’s why we are on a mission to discover new possibilities for potential treatments, by weaving together:
- Population data
- Key biological pathways for disease development
- Untapped potential of existing medications
- Clinical trials – that vital process for both testing and generating leads.